Gluten-Free Leek and Potato Soup
Smooth, creamy and healthy soup that comforts those winter blues!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed well and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs PEI Russet Potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces (approximately 5 cups)
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth.
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring regularly. (About 10 minutes until softened)
- Add the potatoes, stock, thyme, salt and pepper to pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Purée the soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth or use a blender to puree the soup in small batches.
- Return to pot.
- Add more water or stock to thin out the soup if too thick or simmer a little longer to thicken.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chives.